All businesses operating from an address within the city limits of Winter Garden must obtain a Business Tax Receipt before opening the business. This applies to:
- Making changes to a current business
- New business
- Renewing existing business
If a business operates without a valid Business Tax Receipt, an additional penalty of 25% may be charged.
* Please note, the City of Winter Garden will not allow a business to operate using a Post Office Box or a Mailing Center Box as its physical business address. You must either provide a commercial location or a residential location as your physical business address in order to register the business with the City of Winter Garden.
- Business Tax Year runs from October 1st through September 30th of each year. Tax fees are pro-rated 50% effective April 1st or later for that remaining business tax year.
- Businesses which require a state license or health department approval will have to provide copies of those approvals prior to the issuance of a tax receipt.
- Federal ID or Social Security Numbers must be provided as well as some form of valid photo identification of the owner(s) such as a Driver’s License.
- After you pay your business tax, the business must be inspected by the Fire Department to meet all applicable state and city code requirements for Commercial Business locations only. You will be contacted to make arrangements for this inspection.
- In addition to the city business tax, you will also need to obtain an Orange County Business Tax receipt after you have been issued the Winter Garden Business Tax Receipt. The Orange County Business Tax office address is:
Orange County Tax Collector, Business Tax Department
200 S Orange Avenue; Suite 1600
Orlando, FL 32801
NOTE for Commercial Business Locations:
If the business is for a commercial location, the business owner may be required to first complete a LAND USE REVIEW Application and have it fully processed prior to registering the business for a Local Business Tax Receipt. This Land Use Review may take up to 10 business days for completion.
If you have any question regarding zoning and whether your type of business would be allowed in a particular district, please contact the Winter Garden Planning & Zoning Department at 407-656-4111. A Land Use Review Application completion and review may be required by the Planning & Zoning Department for determination if a Commercial business will be able to operate at the proposed address.