The following information will assist you in keeping your home and family safe in the event of a hurricane:
- Develop a personal disaster plan that includes where to go if you have to evacuate, how to prepare your property and personal belongings, and what to include in your kit.
- Check your insurance coverage.
- Trim your trees and bushes in May so they will survive damaging winds.
- If you live in an evacuation zone, make plans to leave early.
- If you plan to stay at home, take refuge in an interior hallway or smaller room with no windows, like a closet near load bearing walls.
- Keep a mattress nearby to protect your head.
- Make sure to leave a clear path to exit in case of fire and keep a fire extinguisher nearby. Only use battery-operated lamps or flashlights.