Programs H - Z
*Due to COVID19 all active 50+ program dates are tentative at this time.
All Active 50+ programs are held at the Jessie Brock Community Center, 310 North Dillard Street, unless otherwise noted.
I WANT to Know
This activity will address different topics that may be of interest to you. Register for one or all the presentations below and walk away with a new idea, a new thought and/or just a reminder of something you once knew and wanted to know more about. Bring a brown bag lunch if you wish. (24 available enrollments)
- January: "Riding the Rails" with Irv Lipscomb a train enthusiast.
- February: Hearing Health by Daniel Troast, AU.D. (Doctor of Audiology)
- March 29: History of the “Path of Life”—by Jackie Brown, member of Bloom and Grow
- April 26: Puppeteer by Scott Huhn
- May 31: “Healing Through Music” by Melinda Wilson, MT – BC Founder and Board Certified Music Therapist.
- Last Tuesday of each month
- 12:00 – 1:00 pm
The Ink and Quill Writing Group
Enjoy writing? Regardless of your ambitions or goals you will find stimulating fellowship and writing encouragement. Learn different styles of writing and share ideas to develop plots, characters and scenes to bring stories to life. Registration required.
- 1st and 3rd Monday of each month
- May 3 and Aug 2 /Jessie Brock Community Center
- June 7 and July 19/Tanner Hall, 29 W. Garden Street
- 2:00 am – 4:00 pm
It is a dance that is choreographed with sequences of steps that are repeated and a group of people dance in one or more lines, all facing the same direction and performing the steps at the same time. Good exercise and great fun. The first 30 minutes of each class is dedicated to beginners and learning the basic steps of the program.
- March-May meet at Jessie Brock Community Center
- June-July meet at Tanner Hall
- 10:30 am – 12:00 pm
- $5 City Resident; $7 Nonresident
Literary Ladies Book Club
Join friends to read the top 10 and the classics.
- 2nd Saturday of each month
- 10:00 am – 12:00 pm
Lunch and Learn
This presentation will include facts of normal and abnormal symptoms of memory. Current treatments options and an overview of the most common types of Dementia will be discussed. Lunch will be provided by Headlands Research Orlando, and registration is required.
- Friday, April 1
- 11:30 am – 1:30 pm
A Matter of Balance
This eight-week Matter of Balance class is a nationally recognized program that emphasizes practical strategies to manage falls. Empowering the participant to view falls as controllable, learn exercises specifically designed to help prevent falls and learning small changes one can make which will increase our confidence in the future. Advanced registration is required as space is limited. (10 available enrollments)
- Tuesday and Thursday/April 5 - April 28
- 1:30 – 3:30 am
Is this normal aging forgetfulness or not? Concerns about your Memory function? Sign-up for a “Free” 30-minute memory assessment appointment sponsored by Headlands Research Orlando. Advanced registration is required as space is limited.
- Thursday, April 7
- 10:30 a.m.-3:30 p.m. (last appointment is at 3:00 p.m.)
My Critic’s Choice
Travel each month to a new restaurant for a casual lunch and critique the overall dining experience. Trip cost includes transportation only. Lunch is Dutch treat. Advanced registration required.
- Last Friday of each month
- January: Season's 52
- 10:30 am
- $8 City Resident / $10 Nonresident
Sit, Stitch ‘n Give
Does life have you all tied up in knots? Join us for a chance to unwind. Come chat, knit, crochet, embroider, etc., and laugh with those who understand your desire to take a long piece of thread fiber and create a beloved "work of heart". Registration required.
- 10:00 am – 12:00 pm
West Orange Page Turners Book Club
Bring a friend and discover current and classic authors. New members and titles are always welcome. Registration required.
- 2nd Monday of each month.
- 1:30 pm – 4:00 pm
Wii Bowling League
Do you still have a passion for bowling but do not have the time, energy or strength to make it to the lanes? Teams of two are forming now for a new Wii bowling 10-week league. Teams bowl September 13 - November 18. Registration required.
- Start-up meeting Friday January 7
- Session 1: January 3-February 25—8 weeks
- Session 2: March 14-May 19—10 weeks
- Session 3: June 13-August 19—10 weeks
- 1:30 pm for start-up meeting March 11 and June 10
- $1 per person, per week due the first week of bowling
Active older adults who are looking for a modified Zumba class that recreates the original moves you love at a lower-intensity. Zumba Gold introduces easy-to-follow Zumba choreography that focuses on balance, range of motion and coordination.
- Monday's and Thursdays, 11:30 am
- January — May/ Jessie Brock Community Center
- June & July/ Tanner Hall, 29 W. Garden Street
- $3 per class City Resident / $4 Nonresident